Thursday, March 09, 2006

This Post Has No Title

Let me be very honest here: I ogle at beautiful women. When a good-looking girl, dressed well and wearing the right accessories walks by, I do stop (metaphorically speaking) and go 'WOW !'. I believe that most men would do the same. To put it in another way, it would take conscious effort for a guy to see a beautiful woman and not at least think a 'WOW!'. IMO, any claims to the contrary by a guy would be hypocritical, to some extent. But,...the buck stops there.
  • I do NOT stand leeringly, mentally undressing the woman.
  • I do NOT sing degrading songs like 'aati kya khandala' or other such nonsensical stuff (have a bad singing voice anyway).
  • I do NOT pull down my zip and expose myself, nor do I scratch my crotch suggestively.
  • I do NOT attempt to touch the other woman.
All of the above constitutes sexual harassment. What we call eve-teasing in India is, in fact, sexual harassment. Eve-teasing is a disgustingly innocuous-sounding phrase, somehow bringing to mind the image of cute little boys pulling girls' pigtails in a playground, whereas the truth can hardly be more different.

A number of my friends and relatives belonging to the opposite gender have had adverse experiences in Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Thrissur - everywhere, in short. All of these experiences were told to me in confidence, and I will not narrate any of them here. In any case, Annie says it all in this moving post - I can hardly add a word to it without destroying the effect.

As to the insinuation that women somehow invite sexual harassment, the very fact that not even a woman clad in a burkha is spared should be proof enough. Of course, please keep in mind that this accusation is made by our so-called custodians of Indian culture, which dictates that women are supposted be treated like goddesses. If that isn't hypocrisy, then what is ?

This is in support of the Blank Noise Project.

3 comments:

Camphor said...

Thank you Mr. Nair. :)

Ranjit Nair said...

@Camphor: NP. And btw, that's quite a list of books on your blog; have to take down some !!!!

Kartik Kannan said...

Hi,
I am Kartik Kannan at Sulekha.com (www.Sulekha.com).
I had the opportunity to see your latest blog post. I found it really interesting, and so would anybody at Sulekha blogs which brings me to an offer I would like to make to you to substantially increase your blog's readership and popularity.
By creating a parallel blog on Sulekha Blogs, you can dramatically boost the number of people viewing your posts, commenting on them and connecting with each other. All you need to do is give us your approval (Reply to this mail with a YES) so that we can feed your blog posts via RSS into your customized blog page on Sulekha.
I eagerly look forward to seeing you on Sulekha!

Kartik Kannan (kartikk@sulekha.net)
Team Sulekha
I blog at www.katchucrap.blogspot.com
http://kartik.sulekha.com