Wednesday, June 13, 2007

God's Own Quandary

I was born and brought up in Thrissur, barely 20km away from the famous Guruvayur temple. I have been visiting the temple from my childhood - I even got married there 10 months ago. Which is why the latest controversy about the temple piqued my interest. As always, Prem Panicker does a neat job of covering all the angles, and as usual I agree with most of the conclusions he has reached here.

The thanthri acted kinda like Darrell Hair - strictly within the letter of the law, but perhaps not quite upholding the spirit - and ended up with a result that he might not have expected, nor desired. Anyway, the temple committee has decided to take another look at its customs, and hopefully, unlike the BCCI they will reach a set of norms that make some sense. I guess it would be too much to expect them to open the temple for all and sundry!


No comments: