Sunday, December 02, 2007

Thoovanathumbikal: Poetry on Celluloid

Recently, I came across a beautiful piece on one of Padmarajan's oft discussed 'Thoovanathumbikal' on the Passion for Cinema blog. As the writer puts it, this is most definitely a movie that grows on you - disturbed characters, the use of symbols, and most of all, the loneliness that is the mark of the three principal characters make for some really compelling cinema. Indeed, there are not many directors who can convert literature to cinema so convincingly.

Here is the link to the piece - its worth your while. And this is something that I wrote last year about my favorite Padmarajan movies.

2 comments:

Movie Mazaa said...

I was just glancing at ur list of recent good films and was glad to see Borat on the list. As much as it was attacked for being an insensitive comedy, I loved that film and had a real blast watching it!

Ranjit Nair said...

@mm: Absolutely. My only grouse was that they showed the best gags in the trailors - too much publicity. Did you get to see Napoleon Dyanamite? That was a scream too :) !!